Northern York Lacrosse Club
Northern York Lacrosse Club
BYLAWS – revised 11/12/2014
Article 1- Name
The name of this organization will be the Northern York Lacrosse Club, hereinafter referred to as “NYLC”.
The principal address of the NYLC shall be
Other addresses may from time to time be designated by the Executive Board.
The purpose of the NYLC will be to:
• Organize, develop and promote the sport of lacrosse for elementary through 8th grade students in, but not
limited to, the territory known as Northern York County.
• Encourage and model behavior that promotes personal fitness, development and leadership in individuals through their participation in amateur lacrosse.
Article 3- Affiliations
NYLC is affiliated the York County Lacrosse Association (YCLA) and the Mid-Penn Youth Lacrosse Association (MPYLA).
All NYLC Coaches and Players shall be members of U.S. Lacrosse.
NYLC shall abide by YCLA rules related to the establishment of teams and placement of players on such teams.
The Executive Board has the discretion to grant an exception to move an individual player up based upon the needs of the NYLC.
Article 4-Executive Board
Section 1- Purpose of this Board
The purpose of the NYLC Executive Board is to provide organization and leadership for the club, and to manage NYLC business and affairs.
Section 2- Executive Board Meetings
The NYLC Executive Board shall meet on a regular basis at a time and place determined by the President. Club members and others associated with the club may be invited to attend executive board meetings as determined by the needs of the Executive Board.
Section 3- Annual Meetings
An annual meeting open to all club members in good standing shall be held each calendar year. The annual meeting shall take place after the close of the regular season but not later than September 30. The date, time, and location of the annual meeting shall be established by the Executive Board and communicated to club members.
Section 4- Action by Two Thirds Written Consent Without Meeting
Any action required or permitted to be taken by the Executive Board may be executed without a meeting provided two thirds of all voting Executive Board members shall individually or collectively consent in writing to such action. Such written consent or consents shall be filed with the minutes of the proceedings of the Executive Board. Such action by written consent shall have the same force and effect as a vote of the Executive Board.
Section 5- Executive Board Meeting Quorum
A quorum at the NYLC Executive Board meeting will be 50% of total voting Executive Board members. Each Officer shall be entitled to one vote. The President will only vote in the event of a tie vote.
Section 6- Compensation
The members of the Executive Board shall not receive compensation other than reasonable reimbursement of expenses as approved by the Board.
Article 5- Elected and Appointed Officers
Section 1- Term for Elected Officers
All elected Officers will serve a term of two years, for a maximum of two terms in a given office (4 years).
Further, the President must be elected from persons who have been members of the organization for at least two (2) years.
Section 2-Titles of Elected Officers
The officers of the NYLC are as follows:
• Vice President
• Equipment & Safety Manager
• Field Manager
• Fundraising Manager
• Director of Girls Lacrosse
• Director of Boys Lacrosse
Section 3- Vacancies
Vacancies in any office shall be filled by appointment by the President with the approval of the Executive Board.
Appointed Officers shall serve until such time as the Annual Meeting of the members takes place, at which time that Office shall be filled by election, in accordance with Article 6 Section 1 of these Bylaws, for a full two-year term. In the event that the Presidency should become vacant, the Vice President will assume the position of President for the balance of the two-year term. If the Vice President declines to become president in the event of no president, than the board is to elect a new president to fill the position, no matter the time of year. The board can add/restructure positions as needed throughout the year to fill all positions.
Section 4 –High School Liaison(s)
One representative each from any high school lacrosse program served by the NYLC may be invited to serve on the Executive Board in a non-voting capacity. The High School Liaison shall be selected upon mutual agreement of the respective high school lacrosse program and the President of the NYLC. The term of the High School Liaison shall be determined by the President of the NYLC. They will serve as a conduit to communicate topics of mutual interest and benefit to their respective high school lacrosse program and the NYLC.
Article 6- Elections
Section 1- Elections
Upon termination of the initial term of office for board members, all subsequent and succeeding Executive Board members shall be elected by a majority vote of the club members in good standing who are in attendance at the annual meeting. Good standing is defined as all club members who have paid all outstanding registration fees and other balances owed to the club at the time of the annual meeting. Each adult affiliated with NYLC (e.g., parents or legal guardians of players, coaches and officers) are deemed to be members and will have the power of one vote at the annual meeting. Voting will be accomplished by anonymous ballot.
Section 2- Nominations of Officers
The Executive Board will prepare a list of willing candidates for the various offices. More than one candidate may be included on the list for any office, however no one candidate may hold more than one office. Any club member in good standing wishing to be considered for election to an office must contact a member of the
Executive Board at least 10 days in advance of the annual meeting to be placed on the list of candidates and to be eligible for election.
Article 7- Duties of members of the Executive Board
The President shall:
• Direct and supervise the affairs of the NYLC
• Provide leadership for the Executive Board and club members
• Preside at all annual and Executive meetings, or appoint a designate
• Enforce the Bylaws of NYLC
• Cast the deciding vote on deadlocked issues of the Executive Board
• Represent NYLC to all outside organizations
• Present to the Executive Board, for vote and approval by the Executive Board, any motions made by outside organizations where the NYLC has voting rights
• Sign checks for authorized NYLC expenditures
• Attend to or assign a response to all correspondence of NYLC
• Perform all duties associated with the capacity of a chief executive officer
• Prepare and distribute all proposed changes to the Bylaws
The Vice President shall:
• Assume the President’s duties in the absence of the President
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President or Board
• Oversee scheduling duties and responsibilities
The Secretary shall:
• Record and maintain minutes of all Executive Board and Annual meetings
• Be custodian of all official records of NYLC
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Secretary or assigned by the President or Executive Board.
The Treasurer shall:
• Have care and custody of all monies and financial records of NYLC
• Receive all monies paid to NYLC and deposit such monies in a designated bank
• Present all bills or claims against NYLC to the Executive Board
• Pay all bills or claims authorized by the Executive Board
• Maintain an accurate record of all monies received and distributed
• Make a report of the financial status of NYLC at each Executive Board meeting
• Prepare and submit an annual financial report to the Executive Board
• Be responsible for an annual independent audit of the financial records of NYLC
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Treasurer or assigned by the President or Executive Board.
The Registrar shall:
• Be responsible for managing player registration
• Be responsible for submitting all player insurance
• Manage player code of conduct acceptance by team members
• Maintain all records of players, coaches, and team registration
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Registrar or assigned by the President or Executive Board
The Equipment & Safety Manager shall:
• Manage the equipment and uniforms necessary to outfit NYLC teams
• Purchase equipment and uniforms approved by the Executive Board
• Install and distribute equipment and uniforms as required
• Distribute, collect and maintain all NYLC owned equipment and uniforms
• Assure the safe and secure storage of NYLC owned equipment and uniforms
• Assure the safe and secure storage of field related equipment and supplies
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Equipment Manager or assigned by the President or Executive Board
The Field Manager shall:
• Act as the facilities risk manager for NYLC.
• Advise the Executive Board of known hazards to players, coaches or spectators for action and resolution
• Present to the Executive Board all equipment and supplies necessary to properly prepare playing fields for lacrosse activities.
• Arrange for adequate and appropriate practice and game fields.
• Prepare fields for game activities including designing, mowing, lining, and otherwise maintaining field and spectator areas.
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Field Manager or assigned by the President or Executive Board.
The Fundraising Coordinator shall:
• Develop and submit fundraising proposals to the Executive Board
• Manage the fundraising activities approved by the Executive Board
• Prepare a record of fundraising results for presentation to the Executive Board.
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Fundraising Coordinator or assigned by the President or Executive Board.
The Both Directors of Boys and Girls Lacrosse shall:
• Nominate and present to the board candidates for coaching positions
• Attend respective YCLA meetings and bring any issues being voted on back to the Executive Board
• Evaluate the performance of coaches
• Investigate any coach-related performance issues or complaints
• Periodically observe coaches at practices and games
• Serve as contact person for NYLC members regarding coach-relates issues
• Confirm that all coaches have completed necessary background checks through NCSI every season.
• Perform all duties incident to the office of Youth Director as assigned by the President or Executive Board.
Any Members-At-Large shall be appointed by the Executive Board by a majority vote. The Member-At-Large position shall be accountable to the general membership of the NYLC. Each Member-At-Large shall have one vote, attend board meetings, and take direction from and make recommendations to board officers.
Article 8- Annual and Special Meetings
Section 1 – Annual Meeting
The annual meeting shall take place after the close of the regular season but not later than September 30. The
date, time, and location shall be established and communicated by the Executive Board.
Section 2- Quorum for Annual Meetings
Ten adults affiliated with NYLC will comprise a quorum for annual meetings.
Section 3- Special Meetings
Special meetings deemed necessary by the Executive Board shall be held at the Board’s discretion.
Section 4 – Notification
Notice of the annual meeting shall be given to those affiliated with NYLC in writing at least ten (10) days prior to the date of the meeting.
Article 9- Funds and Finance
Section 1- Fiscal Year
The fiscal year shall be from June 1 to May 31.
Section 2- Independent Audits
An independent audit of all accounts of the NYLC shall be completed by March 1 of each year.
Section 3- Use of Funds
All funds of NYLC shall be deposited in a designated bank and withdrawn from the bank by only such person or persons as the Board may from time to time designate. All expenditures of NYLC shall require the signature of two unrelated board members. The Executive Board retains sole authority for the approval of expenditures of NYLC funds. All NYLC funds shall be used by and for the NYLC in such a way as to further its purpose.
Section 4- Fundraising
All fundraising activities must be approved by the Executive Board prior to the start of any such activity.
Section 5- Special Donations
All donations to NYLC shall be used in a manner intended by the donor if so stated. Donations with no special or designated purpose shall be placed in the general fund to be used in such a way as to further the purpose of
Article 10- Committees
Section 1- Committees
The Executive Board shall at its discretion create committees deemed proper and necessary to fulfill the purpose and objectives of NYLC. The President shall appoint officers to such committees created by the Executive Board.
Officers of committees shall maintain records, notes, meeting minutes and otherwise memorialize activities.
Committee officers shall be called upon to report to the Executive Board at the Board’s discretion.
Article 11- Removal of Officers, Coaches or Other Persons of Authority
Section 1- Removal from Office or Position
Any officer, coach, or other person in authority (e.g. committee member, sideline monitor, YCLA Board Member) who fails to fulfill the duties of his or her office or position may be removed from that office or position by the Executive Board. The person facing removal must be notified at least forty eight (48) hours in advance that removal action is being taken. That person will be allowed to speak on his or her behalf at the meeting of the Executive Board. A vacancy shall occur when a majority of the Board, voting by secret ballot, vote for removal.
Board members will be subject to removal if three consecutive meetings are missed without reason.
Article 12- Amendment to Bylaws
The Bylaws may be amended, altered or repealed and new Bylaws may be adopted by majority vote of the
Executive Board. Changes will be announced at the next annual meeting.
Article 13 – Non-Profit Status
NYLC is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, as specified in Section 501(c)(7) of the
Internal Revenue Code, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations under Section 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code (or the corresponding section of any future Federal Tax Code). No part of the net earnings of the NYLC shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributed to its members, trustees, directors, officers, or other private persons, except that the NYLC shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of Section 501(c)(7) purposes.
Article 14- Dissolution
Should NYLC be dissolved, all assets of the club shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code (or corresponding section of any future Federal Tax Code) or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose.
These bylaws were approved at a meeting of the Executive Board of the Northern York Lacrosse Club. Consistent with Article 12, Amendment to Bylaws, these Bylaws replace the Bylaws previously approved and enacted.
President of Executive Board: _________________________________(signed)
Lynn Sanders (printed)
Approved and Enacted June 5, 2006
Revised May 12, 2008
Revised May 28, 2009
Revised October 3, 2013
Revised November 12th, 2014